Put your learning to the test, gain valuable experience and make a difference for a business or organization through the senior capstone program required of all CCS students. This semester-long class is a chance to draw on your years of learning at NJIT and apply it to an authentic need presented by one of NJIT's many industry partners. Through the capstone's entrepreneurship track, you can even start your own business. The more than 200 industry sponsors have included Microsoft, Johnson & Johnson, PSE&G Inc., NASA and the National Science Foundation. Then it's up to the teams--four to six students not only from CCS but also from other majors throughout NJIT--to design and implement a solution. At the same time, you'll learn skills in problem-solving, project management, leadership, team dynamics, presentation, and communication.
CS491 & IT491
This capstone is a combination of senior-level courses offered to students at the New Jersey Institute of Technology under NJIT’s College of Computing Sciences, which offers the Computer Science, Information Systems, and Information Technology majors. The course can also be taken as an elective by students from other disciplines at the school, such as Management, Engineering, or Architecture. The program provides an opportunity for the student to integrate the knowledge and skills gained in previous work into a team-based project. The project involves investigation of current literature as well as computer implementation of either a part of a large program or the whole of a small system.
- Connecting learning to life
- Making learning fun, challenging and relevant
- Using real-world projects as a tool to boost motivation to gain employable skills
- Translating education into real-world contributions
- Sponsoring students’ passions
- Empowering students’ leadership, presentation, social, communication, technical, and business skills
- Connecting students to the community
Students who take the capstone:
CS, IS, IT (and sometimes engineering and SOA) – employed/part-time/full time- experienced/ not-experienced – very diverse.
- Industry Projects
- Entrepreneurship Teams
- RWC Teaching projects: US and Colombia
- Executive Team Project
- CISCO Project
- Sponsor/Entrepreneur (required)
- Executive Team Member (required)
- Project Manager* (required)
- Team Member(s)
- Business Analyst
- System Designer
- QA person
*Team Leaders/Project Managers are decided within the team at the start of the project.